There are so many ways for getting your portion of spinach each day (though I wouldn’t recommend it if you got problems with your thyroid). In the morning in your green smoothie, a fresh raw spinach salad for lunch and you might have some steamed spinach for dinner. Flavor it as you wish with Himalaya sea salt, chillies, organic olive oli, sesame seeds etc. I always have a bag in my refridgerator!
1. Ultra-Alkaline: Spinach is quite simply one of the (if not the) most alkaline foods on earth. Spinach is one of the most alkaline foods, it’s indisputable. If you want to get healthy, get vital, get energy and get to your dream body, health, energy and thrive – you need to get alkaline. This is just a fact.
2. Blood Cleansing: Spinach is super high in iron, folate, B6 and vitamin k which are all excellent blood builders. Spinach, being a dark green leafy food is also full of chlorophyll which has long been reputed to be the most potent blood builder due to it’s close molecular structure to haemoglobin.
3. Anti-Inflammatory: Spinach is especially awesome for it’s unique and potent phytonutrient content. Within spinach, research has shown there to be more than eleven different nutrients known as flavanoids that are highly anti-inflammatory. Research has irrefutably shown that excessive inflammation has been shown to be less likely following consumption of spinach.
This is especially seen in the digestive system where spinach rules. I don’t normally like to impress (or confuse) you with long nutrient names, but these are cool. Spinach contains lots of neoxanthin and violaxanthin.
While both sounds like Norwegian heavy metal bands, they’re actually two anti-inflammatory epoxyxanthophylls that are found in plentiful amounts in the leaves of spinach. So if you have any inflammation-based challenge – get your spinach in!
4. Anti-Aging-Antioxidant-Rich: Pretty much all of the nutrients mentioned above are not just great for inflammation – they’re also HUGELY powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants will decrease and reverse the ageing process and help restore your cells. They’re great. They’ll also inhibit free radical formation and give your body a great boost (especially in your energy). This is also awesome for your immune system so don’t skip on the greens in winter or after lots of travel – spinach will stop you from picking up the rounds of colds and flu!
5. Bone Up! The vitamin K provided by spinach — almost 200% of the Daily Value in one serve of fresh spinach leaves is awesome for promoting bone health. Plus, as the scientific literature has shown, an alkaline diet helps promote bone strength generally, and spinach is one of the most alkaline foods of all!
When we live an acidic-lifestyle the body has to draw alkaline minerals from around the body to help buffer the excess acids it can’t digest and neutralise. The #1 source of these buffering minerals is calcium, which the body draws out of the bones.
So getting lots of spinach will provide you with both lots of bone strengthening vitamin K, and lots of alkalinity to buffer acids without compromising your bone health!
6. Blood Pressure: So alongside the long-named-heavy-metal-band-sounding-antioxidants, spinach is also abundant in more recognisable antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, and manganese — as well as a very good source of the antioxidant zinc and a good source of the antioxidant selenium. Given these incredible amounts of antioxidants, it’s hardly a surprise that spinach can help to lower risk of so many health problems related to oxidative stress.
Blood pressure and atherosclerosis is the most common of these and oxidative stress is a core contributor to high blood pressure. With the huge amounts of antioxidants in spinach its no wonder that spinach can help here.
7. Clear Skin: The high amount of vitamin A in spinach also promotes healthy, clear and glowing skin by allowing for proper moisture retention. This not only helps you to glow generally, but can also help to fight psoriasis, acne and even wrinkles!Couple this with the anti-aging effects of all of the other antioxidants and you’ll be looking and feeling amazing in no time.